Youth Counselor Job – Woodward, IA 34350
Why You'll Love This JobThe primary function of the Youth Counselor is to provide direct care supervision of the students.
- Supervise youth in activities in order to observe or effect changes in their social behavior.
- Maintain the security of the facility and grounds.
- Stimulate interest and cooperation in individual and group activities and observe youth behavior in response to treatment efforts.
- Observe methods and techniques of Group Leaders during group therapy sessions and develop counseling skills under their supervision; participate in the treatment of the youth through observation, interaction, scoring, limit setting, and implementation of treatment plans; and assist in the development of a positive peer culture.
- Escort youth to work, mealtime, recreation, education activities, and participate in their supervision and instruction.
- Maintain proper conduct and security of youth in work, recreation, and education; administer and record medication as ordered.
- Limited one-to-one counseling.
- Prepare periodic and special evaluations on assigned youth, report significant changes in social behavior and make recommendations for changes in assignments.
- Provide crisis intervention with juveniles.
- Give basic instruction in work, recreation and housekeeping activities.
- Perform related work as assigned or required.
- Communicate orally and in writing all appropriate reports and information, both within the unit and to relevant outside agencies.
- Abide by The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (42 USC & 201 et seq.)
- All other duties as assigned.
- Education: Graduation from high school or GED is preferred. Relevant life experience in the child welfare, mental health or juvenile justice systems as a consumer, mentor, or caregiver or other relevant experience.
- Experience: 1 year of experience preferred.
- Other Skills: Must maintain flexibility in a fast-paced changing environment.
Questions about careers at Sequel?Contact Us