Registered Nurse (RN) Job – Camden, NJ 31986
Why You'll Love This JobProvides direct patient care and management of children and adolescents (ages 14.5 to 18 upon admission) as prescribed by the physician and treatment team; to provide medical management and assessment as prescribed by a physician; to provide safety and crisis management for patient populations. Administers medication as prescribed by the physician. Completes nursing assessments/evaluations on all patients.
- Completes nursing assessment upon admission for each patient effectively within 24 hours.
- Ongoing patient assessments reflect the full range of needs, including physical, functional, psychosocial and safety. Seeks further medical treatment as necessary (e.g., specialty services, emergency services). Documentation reflects initial status, changes, and progress in all areas.
- Administers medications according to departmental procedure and physician’s orders pertaining to vital signs and lab work, within assessment guidelines/parameters.
- Ensures that an adequate supply of medication is available.
- Ensures proper storage of medications.
- Medication labels are checked for expiration date and medication orders are checked for correctness of directions.
- Is able to identify medications received from community based pharmacies by consulting with dispensing pharmacies when identification is in doubt.
- .Obtains informed consent from parent/legal guardian before administering medications to patients.
- Inspects and maintains medication refrigerator temperature and medication supply boxes; assures compliance with all standards of state and regulatory agencies.
- Patients receive medication within one hour of prescribed time.
- Charts all medications administered, documenting any adverse reactions and responses to PRN medications.
- Releases medications as necessary for home/medical visits or off-grounds activities as prescribed by the physician and in accordance with state licensing and JCAHO standards.
- Disposes of drugs according to procedures.
- Participate in the interdisciplinary treatment team by attending staff meetings and implementing the nursing process.
- Documents patient progress clearly and concisely.
- Contributes to maintaining a safe environment by reporting any unsafe conditions to the Director of Nursing and attending mandatory facility-wide safety in-services.
- Demonstrates knowledge of growth and development for the skills necessary to provide appropriate care for all age groups by effective communication; age appropriate limit setting and interventions; age appropriate goals and objectives.
- Communicates with the Director of Nursing and other nurses to provide consistent and appropriate care.
- Provide assistant in developing nursing department schedules as needed.
- To see that medication and medical treatment as prescribed by a physician is administered effectively and efficiently.
- Ensures that nursing care is implemented.
- Documents nursing care and treatment progression/regression
- Completes documentation by the end of the shift.
- Informs parents/legal guardians of any significant injuries or illnesses and documents such event in the child’s medical record.
- Maintains health records of children. Ensures all immunizations are current.
- Records height, weight and BMI of all children in their medical record.
- Initiates Infection Control Procedures during assigned shift and notifies staff members about which infection control measures are necessary.
- Trains staff in CPR (If certified to do so).
- Performs purchasing function for Nursing Department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Education/Experience: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. Prefer BSN. Six months to one year related experience in a residential setting preferred.
- Licensure/Certification: Current NJ State Registered Nurse license. Current State Driver’s license, CPR certification. CPR Trainer Certification preferred.
- Other Requirements: Current physical examination and PPD test within three (3) months of hire and every two years thereafter.
- Skills/Abilities: Knowledge of appropriate nursing assessment, diagnosis, and intervention with children and adolescent patients. Ability to accurately administer medication and monitor side effects. Ability to delegate responsibility to other staff and monitor their performance. Ability to safely implement special treatment procedures. Skill in developing therapeutic relationships with children, adolescents and their families. Skill in preparing and maintaining appropriate medical record documentation.
Questions about careers at Sequel?Contact Us