Direct Support Staff Job – Urbandale, IA 34072
$500 Hiring/ Sign-On Bonus
Why You'll Love This Job
$500 Hiring/ Sign-On Bonus
- Room Checks – Check on the consumer to insure a positive count and identification of the individual. Staff will continue to perform checks of the consumer at each shift change and every hour.
- Handle Emergencies - In the event of an emergency, notify the individuals and/or agency listed on the Emergency Procedures. Give First-Aid until help arrives, if necessary.
- Drills - Oversee and document the necessary drills.
- Support – Be an advocate to the consumer by engaging them with positive interactions, providing them with healthy options, education, learning experiences, building natural supports, and assisting them when they are unable to care for themselves. Attend and schedule appointments as needed.
- Com Log - Note all observed interaction with consumers during the shift, all significant data should be included in the com log, as this is the primary source of communication with oncoming staff.
- Crisis management – identify and utilize consumer’s crisis plan, safety plan, and coping skills as needed.
- Supervise the on-going activities and safety of the consumer and their environment. Report all noticeable events to Program Supervisor.
- Assist consumers with maintaining their residence such as cooking, cleaning, and organizing.
- Provide skill development services to consumers in their home and community as outlined in the treatment plan. Utilize the intervention steps to complete each goal intended.
- Develop and maintain a working relationship with consumer and their family, and supports.
- Complete service documentation (service notes, reports, and releases) within required timeframes.
- Attend and participate in required trainings.
- Uphold agency communication standards, confidentiality, and demonstrate respect.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and sufficient liability insurance coverage on the vehicle used to transport consumers. Personal vehicle may be required to provide transportation.
- Obtain medication management certification including completion of onsite exam
- Successfully administer and document all medication
- Abide by The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (42 USC & 201 et seq.)
- All other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED required.
- 1-3 years’ experience working with mental disabilities or college degree is preferred.
- Must be capable to participate in the aid of persons with mental, intellectual, or developmental disability.
- The Direct Support Staff will assist the consumer to expand their capabilities at the individual’s pace and provide the skills to teach, advocate, encourage, and tolerate the symptoms from their disability while educating them of options to manage their mental health behaviors.
Questions about careers at Sequel?Contact Us